Excavations |
 
Chandor |
Chandor: The site Cotta Chandor dist. North Goa (ancient Chandrapur) was the capital city during Bhojas (4th Century A. D.) and continued uptoKadambas (11th century A. D.). In the past the site was excavated in 1930 and then again in 1974-75 which had brought to light remains of a brick temple. The recent excavation conducted at the site in 2000-03 has unearthed five phases of structural activities in the temple site with an enclosure wall. The digging in the rampart area has confirmed three phases of the development of fortification. In the season 2003-04 trial pits were dug at different parts of the mound has also revealed habitational remains from the times of Silaharas to Pre-Portuguese. Turquoise glazed ceramic from the site suggests Maritime trade with Arab countries.
 
St. Augustine Complex, Old Goa Dist. North Goa: |
The Archaeological Survey of India has taken up scientific clearance since 1989 and brought to light the remains of one of the biggest churches of Goa with five altars and eight side chapels, Superior and Novitiate cloister, chapter chapel, sacristy, steps, Novitiate and Superior refectory etc. The interior of the church is profusely decorated with Azulejose tiles. The work of the scientific clearance is still continued. The excavation by archeological survey of India revealed the existence of the relic of Queen Ketavan of Georgia who has been declared as a saint. The relic must have been taken away in 1835 by the Augustinians when their complex was abandoned.