Other Protected Monuments |
 

Portal remains of St. Paul's College, Old Goa
This was founded in 1541 for giving instructions to the new converts. As per the description of the travelers it had 200 teachers and 3000 students and St. Francis Xavier also taught at this institute. In 1556 the first printing press in Asia was introduced here. The incorrupt body of St. Francis Xavier when first brought from Sancian was also kept here.
 

Arch of Viceroy, Old Goa
This was built in 1600 A. D. by Francisco da Gama in the memory of his great grandfather Vasco da Gama, was later on re constructed in 1954.
 

Arch of Adil Shah's Palace, Old Goa:-
The entrance of the palace of the Adilshah built of basaltconsists of a horizontal lintel resting on two intricately carved pillars. Earlier, the place of Adilshah was a magnificent building now in ruins was the residence of Portuguese Governor till 1695.
 

Chapel of St. Francis Xavier and connected buildings, Old Goa
Inside the Basilica of Bom Jesus to the south of main altar, there is a Chapel of St. Francis Xavier decorated with gilded twisted columns and floral decoration of wood, where the sacred relic of the body of St. Francis Xavier is housed. Adjoining to this a corridor, leads to the sacristy and convent area.
 

House of Bull, Old Goa
House of Bull, Old Goa is a two storyed house facing Se' Cathedral. This was where the revenue used to be collected from the merchants.
 
Largo of St. Francis Xavier, Old Goa
The area between Se' Cathedral and Basilica of Bom Jesus is the Largo of St. Francis Xavier, now separated by national highway 4A.
 
 
Largo of St. Cajetan,together with the other monuments, Old Goa
Presently the largo is occupied with a garden in front of St. Cajetan.
 
 
AguadaFortress(Upper),Condolim
The fort Aguada built of laterite stone in 1512 comprises a lower fortification with bastions all around and an upper fort. The fort besides offering a safe berth to Portuguese ships was also their water storing point since the place had a perennial water supply. The word Aguada in Portuguese means a watering place.
 
 
Fortification Wall of Aguada Fortress (Lower), Condolim
This was built in 1612 by Portuguese and overlooking the Arabian Sea. It serves as a place for watering to Portuguese Armadas and a point for keeping close watch on intruders entering into the Mandoviriver. It has one bastion protruding towards the sea and four smaller bastions at different intervals.
 
 
Safa Masjid, Ponda
The SafaShahouri Masjid one of the 27 mosques built in Ponda by Ibrahim Adilshah in 1560 is a small single chambered mosque with tiled roof having flight of steps in front. Adjacent to and south of the mosque there is a masonry water tank measuring 30x30 mt with Mihrab design.
 
 
Rock Cut Caves, Arvalim
excavated in laterite hill consisting of two major caves and a residential chamber at the south east end, the cave excavation are running continuously and divided by thin rock cut walls, facing south west. The caves are provided with couple of steps leading to an open courtyard which in turn reach into a pillared front hall or Ardhamandapa. From where, entrance steps lead into the cave shrines. There is a Brahmi inscription datable to early 7th century A.D.
 
 
Mahadev Temple, Tambdisurla
 It is the only outstanding temple that survives the ravages and vandalism, preserved intact amidst serene picturesque Anmod Ghats, dedicated to lord Shiva belongs to 13th century A. D. ascribed to Goa-Kadamba dynasty. The temple consists of Garbhagriha (sanctum), Antaral (vestibule) and pillared Nandi Mandapa (pillared hall) and is built of Chloride Schist. The Mandapa has balustrade entrances on three sides with Kakshana arrangement.
 
 
Mahadev Temple, Kurdi
This is a transplanted temple, originally located 17 km south east of the present location in Kurdi/Angodon the bank of the river Salaulem. The construction of the dam had threatened the submergence of the temple, hence it was systematically dismantled and was reconstructed at the present site providing similar topographical setting. It consists of a square Garbhagriha, antarala and mandapa. The extant superstructure is built of both laterite and basalt stone/schist.
 
 
Excavated site Chandor
This is located on the KushavatiRiver and has been identified as the ancient city of Chandrapur which served as a capital for the Bhojas and uptoKadambas (4th to 11th Century A. D.) besides as a port town. The site was subjected to excavation in 1930's, 1975 and in 2000-03.